What Should I Eat Now
It is basically going to to low-carb diet, you will have to eliminate almost ALL high fructose corn syrup and you will have to stick to good grains… Here is a list
- Eliminate almost all sugar (high fructose corn syrup)
- Eat only whole wheat, no white bread
- Drink lots of water (about 8-10 cups)
- Limit the amount of fruit
- Vegetables are always good
Here are Alison’s Top 10 Food Swaps with Gestational Diabetes Diet
The Top 10
- White pasta / Ravioli … Replaced with quinoa pasta
- White bread / English muffins …Replaced with whole wheat toast in the morning with my scrambled eggs and salsa
- Hummus with pita bread … Try dipping cucumber in the hummus instead of bread
- Thick Sourdough French Toast with powdered sugar and syrup … Replaced with whole wheat bread and topped with fresh berries as a splurge
- Pink lemonade … Replaced with water with a slice of lemon – Stay hydrated without the sugar!**
- White rice / Fried rice … Replaced with brown rice to accompany my Chinese and Thai food
- Sweet vanilla yogurt … Replaced with Greek yogurt and fresh berries
- Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies – 10 at a time … Replaced by Cranberry and Almond Kind Bars to satisfy that sweet craving
- Girl Scout Trefoil cookies – 10 at a time … can you sense a trend here?? … Replaced by one organic fruit strip to satisfy that sweet craving
- Snickers for an afternoon snack … Replaced by the Caramel and Brownie Luna protein bar – getting in that protein is so important!
**Be careful of ALL fruit juices, many times SUGAR is added, be sure to check the label. This includes Orange Juice!**
Spicy Ground Turkey Tostadas
My (and my husband’s) new favorite meal that was inspired from the Biggest Loser.
- Brown one package of ground turkey, adding 2 diced chipotles in adobo sauce, 2 diced serrano peppers and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Warm one can of organic refried black beans.
- Chop up fresh veggies to top the tostadas. I use cilantro, tomatoes, low fat cheddar cheese, avocado, and fresh lime wedges.
- Mix up some plain Greek yogurt with fresh lime juice and some adobo sauce from the chipotles for a spicy replacement for sour cream.
- Toast some whole wheat, low carb tortillas on a small skillet –no oil. Cut into 4 pieces.
- Make your own tostadas starting with the toasted tortilla, black beans, ground turkey, then fresh veggies, and top with a drizzle of the spicy Greek yogurt.
Who knew eating healthy and diabetic friendly could taste so good!